Thursday 1 June 2017

Queenstown - the last session here for a while

Yesterday 31 May I had a couple of nets up for the morning. Although I caught a total of 42 birds with only 5 species there wasn't much variety. There were 26 new birds and 16 recaps.

Species caught were -
Song Thrush - 1 (0) first bird caught.
House Sparrow - 7 (2) there is quite a big flock about but I think the majority have learnt to avoid the nets.
Silvereye - 14 (13) most of the recaps were recently banded, many at Mark's apple orchard which is about 2-300 m away as the bird flys.
Bellbird - 1 (1)
Tui - 3 (0) a bit of a surprise to catch 3 new Tui as I thought I had most of the locals banded.
One of the new Tui, a female

And a bigger male

While  mesuring his wing length it was found he had a hitchhicker

No comments:

Post a Comment