Monday 18 April 2016

Queenstown - the lastest totals

Since the last update I have put nets up at various places around the grounds and twice at the stream at the bottom of the property.  At the first session at the stream I caught 20 birds which was I think a reasonable catch but the second time I caught 3 which was pathetic. So probably won't go back there for a while.

A total of 74 birds of 9 species were caught over this couple of weeks with 40 new and 14 recaps.
Silvereye - 5 (0)
Chaffinch - 0 (1)
Goldfinch - 1 (0)
A lot of birds including this Goldfinch have finished or just about finished their primary moult.
Redpoll - 14 (1) all caught at the stream.
Yellowhammer - 1 (1)
House Sparrow - 29 (7) except for the stream site Sparrows are caught regularly.

A H Sparrow had a broken/deformed P7 feather on each wing.
Dunnock - 3 (2)
Tui - 2 (0)
Bellbird - 5 (2) all Tui & Bellbird were caught in nets set next to a Nashi Pear tree.  The tree is a bit too high for my set up but I catch a few of the low flying ones. They love the juice of partly eaten fruit. One of the new Bellbirds was a female, the first and only one I have caught down here. A ratio of 1 Female  to 12 Males is a bit out of sync.

The first Female Bellbird caught down here.


On a non banding note the autumn colours here at the moment are fabulous. Photos taken from the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment