Saturday 5 September 2015

Houghton Bay Saturday 5 Sept - a pathetic catch

We had a session at the Houghton Bay stream this afternoon. After recent rain I hadn't expected to catch many birds but the catch was below my meagre expectations. We caught  a total of 3 birds, in fact, we had more birds bounce than we got in to the hand. There was 1 new Greenfinch, 1 new Tui and a recap Blackbird.

One of the reasons we had a session when expectations were so low was that I am going to be away for the next 3 weeks or so. I will be spending most of this time near Queenstown where I am hoping to set up a banding site to see if there are any differences between birds in Central Otago and Wellington, especially with some of the introduced  species. If I am successful I will do a post.
The potential banding site today - looks cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment