Thursday 2 April 2015

Houghton Bay Thursday 2 April - mostly Silvereyes

We had a session at the Houghton Bay stream this afternoon with moderate success catching 30 birds. As is usual at this site most of of the catch were Silvereyes with 24 new and just 1 recap. Other birds caught were 3 Greenfinch, 1 Goldfinch and a Tui.
The team at work. Andrea (scribe) Anna (bag courier) Angelia, Chye-mei and George.

Mt Albert Fennel patch

Before I went up to Auckland a few weeks ago I cut net lanes and set up guy ropes at the Mt Albert fennel patch. I even managed to get a net up for a while and caught half a dozen Silvereyes. When I came back I found that the area had been leveled and is now a construction site. The Council are building a new water tank and are repairing some old ones to make them earthquake resistant. I had known that the work was planned but had hoped that they wouldn't start for another month or so. Last year we caught over 100 Silvereyes there.  If we had caught that number this year SE's would have been still top of the perch.
The Fennel patch with net lanes cut

The sight when I came back from Auckland

As it was yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment