Wednesday 11 July 2012

Houghton Bay 11 July, Silvereyes

Had a quick session at the Houghton Bay Stream this afternoon primarily to see if there were many birds about and if the karo was in flower. I had a look a few days ago and there were very few birds and no flowers. This afternoon I caught 25 birds in just an hour so there definitely are birds there.  It was nearly 3pm by the time I was set up and no doubt I would have caught more if I had been earlier. The birds caught were 2 Chaffinch, 1 Grey Warbler, 21 new Silvereyes and 1 recap which had been banded 7/1/2010. The karo is just starting to flower so it will be interesting to see if large numbers of Silvereye turn up in the next few weeks as they did this time last year.

There was a group of youngsters playing games in the bush near the site and they arrived just as I was banding the last bird, the Grey Warbler. They took a considerable interest in my activity and posed for the release of this bird.
The kids with the Grey Warbler before its release.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment