Tuesday 22 May 2012

Hornsey Rd & Houghton Bay Tue 22 May

In the last week Silvereyes have started to feed at my bird table, this is almost exactly a month earlier than last year. This morning I set the funnel trap and had reasonable success. Managed to catch 20 Silvereyes with 15 new birds and 5 recaptures, the only other bird was a recap House Sparrow. Of the Silvereye recaps 2 were from Mt Albert and 1 from Houghton Bay.

This afternoon I went down to the Houghton Bay stream primarily to put up a couple of nets so I could make some alterations to make them easier to erect.  Also thought I might catch the odd bird in the process. Actually managed to catch 15 of 4 species with 10 new and 5 recaptures.
Species caught -
Silvereye - 5 (4)
Chaffinch - 1 (1) the recap was banded at the Zoo.
Fantail - 3 (0)
Grey Warbler - 1 (0)

On the way down Houghton Valley to the bay I discovered a flock of about 80 Yellowhammers so might try my luck there in the next day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment