Monday 2 April 2012

Mt Albert again, 2 April

With the forecast predicting south east gales for the next few days and my being away over the Easter break I went up on to Mt Albert again this morning. After getting a couple of nets up fog closed in and there were very few birds about. After about half an hour the fog lifted and the Silvereyes arrived. In all I caught 64 with again the only bycatch being 1 Dunnock. The big difference from the last couple of sessions was that 8 of the birds were recaptures. Five were recently banded and 3 from 2011, 1 of which was from the Zoo (about 2k depending on whether it flew over the hill or around it. Another was from here at my place but that is not a big journey, about 300m.

This is the biggest mornings catch of Silvereye at this site since I began banding there in 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment